
So I finally finished the Brooke painting I started a few weeks ago. I finished it about two weeks ago, but i just haven't had time to even write a new post so here it is...I'm really pleased with it.
So on to one of my random thoughts...I was walking around on my lunch break at my internship the other day and I was people watching as usual. As I saw how many different people with different styles of clothes there were it got me thinking. It's fascinating that nowadays you can basically wear whatever you want, whenever you want due to the fact of "personal style". There are a few limitations to this rule however, i.e. work, but for the most part, any style or fashion can be "in". Then this got me to thinking that we say so much about who we are as an individual with what we wear...most people seem to identify with some sort of group or buy into some kind of idea with their clothing. I mean, anyone can go and buy a pair of Tory Burch flats and wear them around, but whenever i see a girl in them i still think to myself "oh, she has some good style..." Why is that? Why does a gold medal with t's cut into it signify that a girl has money, or style, or is better than some other girl wearing shoes from Payless? Don't get me wrong, because I'm probably more guilty than most in judging what someone is wearing....but still, is it all that serious?
Years ago, there was not the multitude of choices in fashion for people. There was one style at any given time, and EVERYONE wore it. Think basically any time before the mid 1960's...most people wore what everyone else was wearing....(nowadays it seems like its just as much about where you get something as how that something looks) so the question is raised, did they then have to actually GET TO KNOW someone because they couldn't just look at their shoes and tell who they supposedly were? Perish the thought! It seems to me that, even though i love the time we live in, it may have been a more honest time when people didn't hide behind Chanel sunglasses and Marc bags as a sign of "I'm basically just better than you..." People actually had to have good style to look good, not somebody's name or logo to tell other people that they look good...just a thought...
No comments:
Post a Comment